Personal Network Computing, Inc. (“meter.me”) is providing this Notice to inform you of our practices regarding personally identifiable information (“PII”) that may be collected by us in the course of your download and use of the meter.me application (the “App”). As a user of App, we believe you are entitled to know the following:
- the nature of personally identifiable information we collect;
- the nature of the use of personally identifiable information;
- under what conditions and circumstances we may disclose personally identifiable information and to whom;
- the period during which we maintain personally identifiable information; and
- the times and places at which you may have access to your personally identifiable information.
Personally identifiable information or “PII” is information that identifies a particular person; it does not include aggregate data that does not identify a particular person or persons.
2. Collection of PII
Information to which this Notice applies. This Notice concerns personally identifiable information that you have furnished to meter.me, or that meter.me has collected in connection with your download and use of the App. Purposes for which meter.me may collect PII. We collect personally identifiable information concerning any user for the following purposes:
- to obtain information necessary to allow you to use the App or other services we provide;
- to customize, measure and improve the App and the content, features and advertising provided through the App;
- to enforce our service terms and to detect fraud and other illegal activities;
- to bill and collect for any applicable charges or fees;
- to provide customer service and technical support to the user of the App for performance, configuration, usage, management and troubleshooting of the App and any devices or networks you use with the App;
- to let you know about new apps, products or services from meter.me or other companies we work with as well as promotional offers from meter.me and others we work with;
- to let you know about legal changes, including changes to this Notice and other terms that apply to the App and our services; and
- to update any hardware, software or other tools we provide in conjunction with the App or other services.
We do not use the App to collect personally identifiable information concerning any subscriber for any purposes other than those listed above without the subscriber’s prior written or electronic consent. Information collected by meter.me. We may collect information from you at several different points when you download and use our App. Some of this information is personally identifiable information, but much of it is not. In order to provide reliable, high quality service to you, we keep regular business records containing information about you that may constitute personally identifiable information. These records include some, but typically not all, of the following information:
- your name;
- physical address and the location of your water system;
- geolocation of metered components;
- billing address;
- e-mail address;
- telephone number;
- credit card number;
- other similar account information;
- technical configuration of service;
- type of service;
- quantity of service;
- amount of use of service
- type and size of components monitored.
We may also collect and maintain certain other information about your account. For example, this information may include:
- billing, payment, and deposit history;
- additional service information;
- customer correspondence and communications records;
- maintenance and complaint information;
- records indicating the number of components connected to the App;
- additional information about the service options you have chosen.
Non-PII Information Collected. During the initial provisioning of our services, and during any subsequent changes or updates to our services, meter.me may collect technical information about your computer and/or mobile devices and/or any other service-related devices,, including, without limitation, customization settings and preferences.
3. Use of PII
We collect, maintain, and use PII as permitted by applicable laws. We use this information primarily to conduct business activities related to the App. Generally speaking, we may use personally identifiable information in connection with:
- billing and invoicing;
- collection of fees and charges;
- service delivery and customization;
- maintenance and operations;
- technical support;
- hardware and software upgrades; and
- fraud prevention.
More specifically, we also use personally identifiable information to:
- install, configure, operate, provide, support, and maintain the App and other services;
- confirm you are receiving the level(s) of service requested and are properly billed;
- identify you when changes are made to your account or services;
- make you aware of new products or services that may be of interest to you;
- understand the use of, and identify improvements to, the App;
- detect unauthorized reception, use, or abuse of the App;
- determine whether there are violations of any applicable policies and terms of service;
- configure service-related devices; and
- comply with the law.
We transmit and may collect and store for a period of time, personally identifiable and non-personally identifiable information about you when you use the App to:
- establish custom settings or preferences;
- communicate with us for support; or
- otherwise use the App and its features.
Our transmission, collection, and storage of this information is necessary to render the services. We may also combine personally identifiable information, which we collect as described in this Notice as part of our regular business records, with personally identifiable information obtained from third parties for the purpose of creating an enhanced database or business records. We may use this database and these business records in marketing and other activities related to the App and other services. We also maintain records of research concerning subscriber satisfaction and viewing habits, which are obtained from subscriber interviews and questionnaires.
4. Disclosure of PII
Circumstances under which meter.me may disclose PII. We consider the personally identifiable information contained in our business records to be confidential. We may disclose personally identifiable information concerning any user if the disclosure is:
- necessary to render, or conduct a legitimate business activity related to the App or other services provided by meter.me to the user;
- required by law or legal process; or
- of the names and addresses of users for “mailing list” or other purposes (subject to each subscriber’s right to prohibit or limit this disclosure).
We do not disclose personally identifiable information concerning any user for any purposes other than those listed above without the user’s prior written or electronic consent. To whom meter.me may disclose PII. We may disclose personally identifiable information if it is necessary to render or conduct a legitimate business activity related to, the App or other services we provide to you. These kinds of disclosures typically involve billing and collections, administration, surveys, marketing, service delivery and customization, customer support, maintenance and operations, and fraud prevention, for example. We may also collect, use, and disclose information about you in non-personally identifiable or aggregate formats, such as ratings, surveys, and service usage, and other statistical reports, which do not personally identify you, your particular viewing habits. The frequency of any disclosure of personally identifiable information varies in accordance with our business needs and activities. We may sometimes disclose personally identifiable information about you to our affiliates or to others who work for us. We may also disclose personally identifiable information about you to outside auditors, professional advisors, service providers and vendors, potential business mergers, acquisition, or sale partners, and regulators. Typically, we make these disclosures when the disclosure is necessary to render or conduct a legitimate business activity related to, the App or other services we provide to you. We may be required by law or legal process to disclose certain personally identifiable information about you to lawyers and parties in connection with litigation and to law enforcement personnel. If we enter into a merger, acquisition, or sale of all or a portion of our assets, subscribers’ personally identifiable information will, in most instances, be one of the items transferred as part of the transaction. We may also use or disclose personally identifiable information about you without your consent to protect our customers, employees, or property, in emergency situations, to enforce our rights under our terms of service and policies, in court or elsewhere, and as otherwise permitted by law. Required disclosure of PII. We make every reasonable effort to protect subscriber privacy as described in this Notice. Nevertheless, we may be required by law to disclose personally identifiable information about a user. These disclosures may be made with or without the user’s consent, and with or without notice, in compliance with the terms of valid legal process such as a subpoena, court order, or search warrant. We may be required to disclose personally identifiable information to a third-party or governmental entity in response to a court order. If the court order is sought by a non-governmental entity, we will notify the user of the court order. We may be required to disclose personally identifiable information about subscribers to a government entity in response to a subpoena, court order, or search warrant, for example. We are usually prohibited from notifying the user of any disclosure of personally identifiable information to a government entity by the terms of the subpoena, court order, or search warrant. Protection of PII. We follow industry-standard practices to take such actions as are necessary to prevent unauthorized access to personally identifiable information by a person other than the subscriber or us. However, we cannot guarantee that these practices will prevent every unauthorized attempt to access, use, or disclose personally identifiable information. As part of our commitment to ensure your data privacy, we will notify you promptly of any data breaches. Upon termination of this Agreement, you have the right to request meter.me to remove your personal data. Retention of PII. We maintain PII about you in our regular business records while you are a user of the App. We also maintain this information for a period of time after you are no longer a user if the information is necessary for the purposes for which it was collected or to satisfy legal requirements. These purposes typically include business, legal, or tax purposes. If these purposes no longer apply, we will destroy the information according to our internal policies and procedures.
5. Customer Access and Choice
Examining your PII. You may examine and correct, if necessary, the personally identifiable information regarding you that is collected and maintained by a meter.me in our regular business records. In most cases, the personally identifiable information contained in these records consists solely of billing and account information. We will correct our records if you make a reasonable showing that any of the personally identifiable information we have collected about you is inaccurate. Upon request, we will provide an electronic copy of your personal data collected free of charge; however, we will require proof from you to confirm that you are actually the person you claim to be. If you wish to examine the records containing your personally identifiable information, please contact us by mail or telephone at 707-422-1200, giving us at least 30 days to locate and, if necessary, prepare the information for review, and to arrange an appointment. You will only be permitted to examine records that contain personally identifiable information about your account and no other account. We reserve the right, subject to applicable law, to charge you for the cost of retrieving and photocopying any documents that you request. Changes to Privacy Notice. We will provide you with a copy of this customer privacy notice at the time you download the App, or as otherwise permitted by law. You can view the most current version of this notice by going to www.meter.me. We may modify this Notice at any time. We will notify you of any material changes through written, electronic, or other means and as otherwise permitted by law. If you find the changes to this notice unacceptable, you have the right to cancel your service by discontinuing your use of the App. If you continue to use the App following notice of the changes, we will consider that to be your acceptance of and consent to the changes in the revised privacy notice. This includes your consent for any personally identifiable information that we may collect and use starting on the effective date of the revised notice, as well as for any personally identifiable information that we have collected prior to the effective date of the revised notice. Contact meter.me. If you have any questions regarding this Notice, or wish to contact us about your personal information, please reach us as follows: Phone: 707-422-1200 Website: www.meter.me Mail: 4160 Suisun Valley Road, Suite E-712, Fairfield, CA 94534 Effective Date. The effective date of this Notice is October 1, 2019.